Saturday 17 May 2014

The Picture of Dorian Gray

There are quotes you like in a book and then there is a book that in itself should be a quote. If a book is ever awarded for having “the most thought provoking quotes”, without any competition, it will be “The Picture of Dorian Gray” that shall receive the honor.  It has to be one of the most engaging, enchanting, confounding books that I have read.

Oscar Wilde was criticized for writing this book and a few passages were banned. Of course, we humans aren't strong enough to resist temptations and add to that a book like this, it had to be banned. It pains me whenever I hear about a book was banned or is being banned. No book should suffer that fate because (in his words) “There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book.  Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.” That is all.
And this book is well written, immensely well-written.

I thought that I would put my favorite quotes from the book in here. I even tried but then I realized that the result would have in vain as more than half the book being put here would look plainly terrible. I did not have the heart to choose my favorite quotes; all of them are my favorites. And anyway writing them here wouldn't matter much as most of you must have read them somewhere or the else without realizing that they would be part of this enthralling book.

Dorian Gray exists in all of us, in varying degrees. That is the precise reason the book leave you in a daze. Of course, the degradation is more than what one can bear normally. But imagine Dorian being a little moderate in taking pleasure in his vanity and maybe we could relate to him. Feeling guilty/bad about Sibyl or let us put in a little attempt at redemption; Let her not die and we choose a loveless marriage with an extra-marital affair for dear Dorian. Now that would have been bearable.

Perhaps not killing Basil, rather praying with him and asking for forgiveness from God that could have been a way out too. Isn't religion supposed to be the ultimate salvation? He would not be damned and we would have been happy with our illusion of redemption. Whom am I trying to fool here? Oscar Wilde was far more brave and truthful than we could bear. Once you take pleasure in enjoying senses and are ruled by vanity, there is no going back to the monotony of good life. Perhaps, you may forget for a while and try and at being good but it is only a facade and the mask will come off one day. Even our dear Dorian attempted that before his end but the futility of his effort was soon shown to him by Henry.
Going too far for Dorian was never a choice but the only option he had. After all “Redemption is just a mirage”.

However, it is difficult for me to believe that Henry was not poisoned by his own thoughts and led a relatively better life (in terms of morality) than Dorian. After all it was he who actually influenced Dorian and led him astray. How could a devious man like him have done worse things than Dorian. But then I remind myself the picture was Dorian’s and so was the book.

Dear Mr. Oscar Wilde, thank you for making our difficult lives more difficult and of course you have done it very aesthetically.

Remember: Morals maybe subjective but senses are universal.

After a few years, I would want to re-visit the book. Maybe this book is the soul and could depict moral degradation for me. This book would be old and tattered and I would be young and beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Well written Ritika,I had read this book long back when I was a school going boy . I do not think my mind and aesthetic sensibilities were evolved enough to understand this great piece of work . I would like to revisit this book . How nice it would be if we can take it up as one of our reads .
    Regards
    ~Ram

    ReplyDelete